Last Reviewed: May 8, 2023
Information We Collect
Personal Data we collect from our Sites includes, but is not limited to:
- Tenant identification information
- Name (first & last)
- Mobile phone number
- Email address
- Registration Data (usernames & passwords)
- Geolocation information, when opted in
Other related data we may collect may include, but is not limited to:
- Tenant unique identifier for the tenant (that the PMS system generates and uses)
- Tenant unit number
- Activity associated with that unit
- Note: Shared Key (we obtain the same information for anyone the "Master" tenant has shared their digital key with)
- Unit identification information
- Unit unique identifier (that the PMS system generates and uses)
- Last Updated
- Unit status - available, rented, overlocked, auction
- Unit name (usually an alphanumeric number associated with the unit)
Information Collected Automatically
- Log & Device Data. When you visit our Site, we may automatically record information ("log data"), including information that your browser sends whenever you visit our Site. This log data may include your web address you came from or are going to, your device model, operating system, browser type, unique device identifier, IP address, mobile network carrier, time zone and location. The Sites may collect "diagnostic" data related to your use of the Sites, such as crash data and logs, performance data (e.g., launch time, hang rate, or energy use), and any other data collected for the purposes of measuring technical diagnostics.
- Our third party service providers may provide us information that tells us how marketing ads, often placed on third party websites, performed and who clicked on them. This information does not identify any specific individual and is generally non-identifying. If we were to associate it with you, we would treat it as Personal Data.
Information Received from Customers Through Our Services
We receive data from our customers through our storage facility-related services. We process this data pursuant to a contract in place with our customers. The use of information processed through these services shall be limited to the purpose of providing the service for which the customer has engaged Janus. We process Personal Data at the direction of our customer and we generally have no direct relationship to the tenants whose Personal Data we receive on behalf of our customers. See below about your choices and access rights related to this data.
Information Received From the Noke® Smart Entry Application
We receive data from our customers' employees, tenants, and certain company managers who use our Noke® Smart Entry app. We process this data pursuant to a data processing agreement or other contract in place with our customers. The use of information processed through our service shall be limited to the purpose of providing the service for which the customer has engaged Janus. See below about your choices and access rights related to this data.
Audio and Visual Materials
Use of Personal Data
We may use your Personal Data as described below:
Marketing and Communications:
- To provide you with information requested from us relating to our products or services.
- To provide information on other products that we feel may be of interest to you if you have consented to receive such information, which are legitimate business interests.
- To notify you about any changes to our Sites, such as improvements or service/product changes, that may affect our service.
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our products or services.
- If you are an existing customer, we may contact you with information about services similar to those already purchased.
- If you do not want us to use your data for ourselves, you will have the opportunity to withhold your consent to this when you provide your details to us on the form that we collect your data.
- With your consent, we will use Personal Data to communicate with you to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or for a legitimate business or commercial purpose.
Deliver the product/service and customer support:
- We will use Personal Data to provide you or our customer's access to the Noke® Smart Entry app and customer support. We will use Personal Data to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or for a legitimate business or commercial interest. If you do not provide the data that we request, or prohibit us from collecting such data, we may not be able to provide the requested services.
- We use Personal Data to analyze our product and services, as well as the Sites, and to perform audits, security and fraud monitoring and prevention. We also use Personal Data to develop new services, enhance, improve or modify our existing service, identify usage trends, determine the effectiveness of our marketing efforts, and to operate our business. We use Personal Data as described to manage our contractual relationship with you, comply with a legal obligation and/or because we have a legitimate business or commercial interest to do so.
- To process transaction payments (including, but not limited to, service fees, membership dues and subscriptions, registration fees, voluntary contributions, and payments, refunds and reimbursements for any products or services that you choose to purchase from us).
- To ask for anonymized ratings and reviews of the Mobile App and/or the products or services that we offer to you.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information or to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- Personalize our products and services, including providing features or advertisements that match your interests and preferences.
- Comply with applicable due diligence laws and requirements regarding security, anti-terrorism, anti-bribery, customs, immigration, and similar matters.
- We may collect and use your Personal Data for any other purpose for which we obtain your consent.
Sharing and Disclosure
We share your Personal Data in the following ways:
Intra-Group. We may share your Personal Data with our parent company, and our affiliates, and subsidiaries.
With third party service providers, agents, or contractors.We use other companies, agents or contractors ("Service Providers") to perform services on our behalf or to assist us with providing services to you. For example, we may engage Service Providers to process credit card transactions or other payment methods, or, we may engage Service Providers to provide services such as marketing, advertising, communications, infrastructure and IT services, to provide customer service, to collect debts, and to analyze and enhance data (including data about users' interactions with our service). These Service Providers may have access to your personal or other information in order to provide these functions. In addition, some of the information we request may be collected by third party providers on our behalf. We do not authorize them to use or disclose your personal information except in connection with providing their services.
Analytics.Specifically, for analytics providers, we use Google Analytics which is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
Some web browsers may transmit "do-not-track" signals to the website with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they are even aware of them. Please note that unless otherwise required by law, at this time we do not recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include "do not track" instructions.
We will attempt to notify you about these requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon us, our users, our Sites, or our services. In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that user about the request after the fact if we determine in good faith that we are no longer legally prohibited from doing so and that no risk scenarios described in this paragraph apply.
- Business Transfers:You consent to our disclosure of your Personal Data and other information to a potential or actual buyer of our company or other successor for the purpose of considering a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or other court proceeding, in which Personal Information held by us is among the assets transferred. You agree to and do hereby consent to (and shall not object to) our assignment, conveyance, transfer, and/or license (whether by contract, merger or operation of law) of any or all of our rights to your Personal Information and your consents, in whole or in part, and other information, with or without notice to you and without your further consent.
Storing your Personal Data/Transfer of Data
This Site is operated in the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, please know that your information will be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States. By using the Sites and providing us with information, you consent to this transfer, processing and storage of your information in the United States. It is important to note that the privacy laws in the United States may be more, or less, comprehensive as those in other countries such as the European Union or Canada. Our Service Providers use appropriate safeguards to transfer your Personal Data to the United States.
- Personal Data that is provided to us is stored on our secure servers and/or those of our Service Providers. Details relating to transactions entered into via our Site will be encrypted to ensure its safety.
- The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and therefore we cannot guarantee the security of data sent to us electronically and the transmission of such data is entirely at your own risk. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password so that you can access certain areas of our Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
- The safety and security of your information also depends on you. You should maintain good internet security practices. Where you have password-protected access to certain parts of the Site or Mobile App, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. You should not share your password with anyone. You must prevent unauthorized access to your account and Personal Data by selecting and protecting your password appropriately and limiting access to your computer or device and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your account. If your email account or Facebook account is compromised this could allow access to your account with us if you have given us those details and/or permitted access through those accounts. If your email account is compromised it could be used to ask us to reset a password and gain access to your account with us. If you think that any of your accounts have been compromised you should change your account credentials with us, and in particular make sure any compromised account does not allow access to your account with us. You must contact us immediately (and in any event within twenty-four (24) hours) if you have reason to believe that your username or password to our Sites and services has been compromised. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by other users. We'll never email you to ask for your password or other account login information. If you receive such an email, please send it to us so we can investigate.
Third party links
The time periods for which we retain your Personal Data depend on the purposes for which we use it. We will keep your Personal Data for as long as your account is active, or as long as you are a registered account holder or user of our Site or Mobile App or for as long as we have another business purpose to do so and, thereafter, for no longer than is required or permitted by law, or our records retention policy, reasonably necessary for internal reporting and reconciliation purposes, or to provide you with feedback or information you might request. This period of retention is subject to our review and alteration.
Your California Privacy Rights
Online Privacy Protection Act ("CalOPPA")
Under California Civil Code Sections 1798.83-1798.84 (known as the "Shine the Light" law), California residents are entitled to ask us annually for a notice identifying the categories of Personal Information which we share with our affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes and providing contact information for such affiliates and/or third parties with whom the business has shared such information during the immediately preceding calendar year. To make such a request, please contact us with "Request for California Privacy Information" in the subject line and in the body of your message. We will comply with your request within thirty (30) days or as otherwise required by the statute. Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by the "Shine the Light" requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response. To obtain information under CalOPPA from us, please contact us, or, see more at the CalOPPA website
California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 ("CCPA")
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, click here: https://www.janusintl.com/privacypolicy/californiarights.
Your Virginia Privacy Rights
If you are a Virginia resident, Virginia law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information.
Data Privacy Rights. Pursuant to the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act, Virginia residents are entitled to certain data privacy rights:
- To confirm whether or not Janus is processing your personal information, and to access such personal information.
- To request Janus correct inaccuracies in your personal information, taking into account the nature of the personal information and the purposes of the processing of the personal information.
- To request Janus delete your personal information.
- To obtain a copy of the personal information that you previously provided us in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily usable format that allows it to be transmitted to another entity without hindrance, where the processing is carried out by automated means.
Submit a Privacy Request. To submit a privacy request, you may contact us using the "Contacting Us" section below.
Privacy Request Verification Process. If you make any request related to your personal information, we will ascertain your identity (and the identity of the authorized agent, to the extent applicable) to the degree of certainty required or permitted under the law before addressing your request. In particular, before granting you access to, erasing, or correcting, specific pieces or categories of personal information or otherwise responding to your request, we will, to the extent required or permitted by law, (i) require you (or your authorized agent) to verify your request via email, (ii) request certain contact information or government identifiers, and (iii) match at least two pieces of such personal information with data that we have previously collected from you. None of Virginia's privacy rights are absolute, and such rights are subject to exceptions and exemptions. For more information about the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act, please see https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?211+ful+SB1392ES1.
Privacy Requests Appeals Process. If you would like to appeal a decision we made with respect to your privacy request, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line "ATTN: Privacy Appeals," and describe the nature of your request, and the reason for requesting an appellate review. Virginia residents may file privacy complaints with the Virginia Attorney General (https://www.oag.state.va.us/contact-us/contact-info).
Opt-Out Rights / The Sale of Personal Information. Virginia residents have the right to opt out of the "sale" of their personal information. However, Janus does not sell your personal information to third parties for monetary or valuable consideration, and therefore we do not provide opt-out request processes for the sale of personal information (because we do not undertake such activities).
Opt-Out Rights / Targeted Advertising. Virginia residents have the right to opt out of having their personal information used for targeted advertising purposes. We use third-party analytical and targeted advertising features on our Site and similar web tools provided by our marketing partners. To opt out of this sharing of your personal information in these circumstances, please click on the cookie management tool (sometimes visible as a "Your Privacy Choices" or a "Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information" link on the footer of the Site) to set your cookie preferences.
Opt-Out Rights / Profiling. Virginia residents have the right to opt out of having their personal information used for profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects. However, Janus does not engage in such activities.
Your Nevada Privacy Rights
We do not currently conduct "sales" of personal information for purposes of Nevada law. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Nevada residents may submit a request directing us to not sell personal information we maintain about them to third parties who will sell or license their information to others. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us in accordance with the "Contacting Us" section listed below.
Notices; Opting Out
By providing us with your email address (including by "following," "liking," linking your account to our Service or other services, etc., on a third party website or network), you consent to our using the email address to send you service- and business-related notices by email, including any notices required by law, in lieu of communication by postal mail. You also agree that we may send you notifications of activity related to our Sites to the email address you give us, in accordance with any applicable privacy settings. We may use your email address to send you other messages or content, such as, but not limited to, newsletters, additions or changes to features of the Service, or special offers. If you do not want to receive such email messages, you may opt out by emailing us your opt-out request or by clicking "unsubscribe" at the bottom of our e-newsletter. Opting out may prevent you from receiving email messages regarding updates, improvements, special features, announcements, or offers. You may not opt out of Service-related emails.
You can add, update, or delete information as explained above. When you update information, however, we may maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records. You may request deletion of your account by emailing us. It is your responsibility to maintain your current email address with us.
We use reasonable administrative, logical, physical and managerial measures to safeguard your Personal Data against loss, theft and unauthorized access, use and modification. Unfortunately, no measures can be guaranteed to provide 100% security. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of your information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of personal information you transmit to the Sites and/or the services over networks that we do not control, including the internet and wireless networks, and you provide us with any personal information and data at your own risk. To the extent permitted by law, we shall not be liable or otherwise responsible for any data incident or event that may compromise the confidentiality, integrity, or security of your personal information caused by a third party. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a username and password to access our Sites or services, you are responsible for maintaining the security and confidentiality of those credentials and not revealing them to others. You must contact us immediately (and in any event within twenty-four (24) hours) if you have reason to believe that your username or password to our Sites has been compromised. You acknowledge and agree that we may contact you via email or other electronic communications in the event we are legally required to notify you of a data security incident or event related to your personal information.
Our policy on children's information
Our Site is not directed to children under 16. In the event that we learn that we have collected Personal Data from a child under age 16 without verification of parental consent, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete that information from our database. If you learn that your minor child has provided us with Personal Data without your consent, please contact us.
You are permitted, and hereby agree, to only provide personal information to us if such personal information is accurate, reliable, and relevant to our relationship and only to the extent such disclosure will not violate any applicable data protection law, statute, or regulation or infringe upon a person's data privacy rights or privileges. If you provide Personal Data (including personal information concerning a third party) to us, you expressly represent and warrant to us that you have the full right and authority to provide us with such Personal Data (including personal information concerning a third party) and that our use and processing of such Personal Data as set forth herein will not violate any person's rights or privileges, including rights to privacy. You hereby agree to fully and completely indemnify Janus for any claims, harm, or damages that may arise from your provision of Personal Data (including personal information concerning a third party) to Janus.
Updating Your Information
It is important that the personal information that you provide to us is accurate and reliable. In certain circumstances, you may have the ability to directly edit your Janus account to update and change your personal information (e.g., name, telephone number, email), and you must do so when such changes are warranted. You may review, update, or modify your personal data, including profile and contact information, at any time by contacting us in accordance with the "Contacting Us" section below.
Data Protection in Europe
The following provisions apply to you only if you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, or the United Kingdom, and please note that we may transfer your Personal Data to a country or jurisdiction, such as the United States, that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction. We may do so to process your Personal Data by staff operating outside the EEA who works for us or for one of our service providers. Under the General Data Protection Regulation1 (GDPR) applicable in the EEA, Switzerland, and the UK, and other countries' privacy laws, you may have certain rights with respect to the processing of your Personal Data. These rights include:
- Choosing not to provide your Personal Data
- Accessing, or obtaining a copy of, your Personal Data
- Checking and editing your data in your user account
- Unsubscribing from direct marketing
- Checking and editing your Personal Data
- Blocking and deleting the cookies
- Permitting or refusing processing of your location data
- Erasure, or restriction of our processing, of your data
- Objecting to the processing of your Personal Data
- Withdrawing your consent
- Porting your data to another controller
- Lodging a claimthe supervisory authority
- Data collected directly by our customers at storage locations
Please note that upon exercising any of the rights listed below, you may be requested to provide additional information for identification purposes. Such additional information shall not be used for any other purpose and will be removed after successful identification.
- Providing your data: You may choose not to provide your Personal Data to us. It should be noted that some features of our websites, applications and other services may not be fully available to you if you choose not to provide us with your Personal Data (e.g., we may not be able to process your orders without the necessary details).
- Right of access: You may have the right to request access to, or copies of, your Personal Data, together with information regarding the nature, processing and disclosure of those data.
- Unsubscribing: We include an unsubscribe link in all electronic marketing messages we send to you. You may withdraw your consent to direct marketing at any time. If you do so, we will promptly update our databases, and will not send you further direct marketing, but we may continue to contact you to the extent necessary for the purposes of any products or services you have requested.
- Checking and editing your Personal Data: Should you have an online user account, you may edit and complete your Personal Data directly yourself. If you do not have an online user account, you may contact us , who will upon your request as soon as possible rectify, remove or complete the information which is incorrect, unnecessary, lacking or outdated.
- Allowing use of location data: You may give your consent to the use of location data in the options of the device or the application. You may also withdraw such consent at any time from the options menu in your account, or by contacting us.
- Erasure, or restriction of our processing, of your data : Should you believe that we process your data which is not accurate; the processing is illegal; we are not processing your data in accordance with the processing purpose or you want to oppose the processing, you may contact us to request the erasure, or restrictions on the processing, of your data. Please note that we will investigate your request reasonably promptly, before deciding what action to take.
- Right to object: You may have the right to object, on legitimate grounds, to the processing of your Personal Data.
- Withdrawing your consent : You may at any time decide to withdraw your consent to the processing of your Personal Data. If your consent is withdrawn, it does not prevent us from processing your Personal Data based on other legal bases, such as fulfilling your orders and storing your order data as required by applicable law. However, it should be noted that your account(s) on our Web Portal will be altered, and advantages granted to you via your account will be reset. Please note that withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing performed prior to the date on which we receive notice of such withdrawal.
- Right to data portability: You may have the right to have your Personal Data transferred to another controller, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, to the extent applicable.
- Right to Lodge a Complaint : For European Union residents, if you feel that our processing of your Personal Data infringes on data protection laws, you have a legal right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority responsible for data protection. You may do so in the EU member state where you habitually reside, your place of work or the location of the alleged infringement. If you are located outside of the European Union, you may have rights under privacy laws in the jurisdiction where you live.
Legal Basis for Processing. We process your personal information in accordance with the legal bases set forth in law. For example, our processing of personal information (as described herein) is justified based on the following legal grounds:
- Consent: Processing is based on your consent (e.g., you register to receive our marketing materials, you voluntarily contact us).
- Legitimate Interests: Processing is necessary for our legitimate interests as set out herein (e.g., monitoring your use of the Site and your compliance with the terms and conditions governing the same, improving our services).
- Contract Undertaking: Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party (e.g., you purchase or consider purchasing our Services).
- Legal Compliance: Processing is required to comply with a legal or statutory obligation (e.g., tax disclosures).
Complaints. In the event you have concerns about our data processing, you have the right to file a complaint with your data protection authority.
We would, however, appreciate the opportunity to deal with your concerns before you approach a data protection authority with a complaint, and invite you to contact us in the first instance.
Your Canada Privacy Rights
Persons with Disabilities
Employment Applications and Talent Management
Events and Video Teleconferencing
We host and use video teleconferencing platforms to facilitate conferences, meetings, training events, and other programs. We often use online platforms that are owned and administered by a third-party service provider (e.g., Google, Zoom, WebEx, Skype for Business). Please be aware that our video teleconferencing may record the content, conversations, and discussions thereon, and such records may be stored or retained by our third-party service providers. By participating in our events and video teleconferencing, you hereby consent to the collection and retention of any information provided therein, and you hereby consent to the recording of such activities.
Changes to the Policy
We welcome any queries, comments or requests you may have regarding this policy please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com. If you would prefer to write to us, our contact address is:
135 Janus International Blvd.
Temple, GA 30179
Attn: Legal Department
Toll Free: (866) 562-2580
Phone: (770) 562-2850
1 The General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 ("GDPR") is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA). It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU and EEA areas. For more information regarding the GDPR, please visit https://eugdpr.org/.