Now tenants can have the luxury of accessing two units temporarily when they need a day or two to move their storage items from a smaller unit to a larger one, or vice versa.
It is a common occurrence for individuals to experience changes in their storage space needs. As families grow or shrink over time, they may find themselves needing to upsize or downsize their homes, and this can also apply to their storage units. To provide convenience for your tenants during this process, the Nokē Smart Entry (NSE) Web Portal allows for temporary access to two units simultaneously. This enables tenants to transfer their belongings from one unit to another within a specified timeframe.
Transfers generally occur in two steps:
The initial step involves the processing of the transfer from the vacating unit to the new unit by the PMS system. This step is of utmost importance in the overall process as it encompasses the application of credits/charges and the generation of a new lease agreement.
The final step involves the NSE Web Portal granting temporary access to both units, allowing the tenant sufficient time to empty the old unit and relocate to the new one. This step is crucial because the tenant needs access to both doors, which may be located in different zones. It's important to note that transfers in the NSE Web Portal are vital, even for facilities transferring between non-NSE units, especially if the units are in different access zones.
Once the transfer has been completed in the PMS system, proceed to the Web Portal and locate the unit from which the tenant was transferred. Grant them access to that unit.
To grant temporary access to the vacated unit in the Web Portal,
- From the Web Portal, click the Units tab.
- Locate the unit the tenant is vacating and click on it.
- From the Unit Details form, click Transfer Unit.
- From the Transfer Unit form, select the unit the tenant is transferring to.
- Click Submit to start the transfer period. (For the next 48 hours, the tenant will have access to both units.)
Once access to both units is granted through the NSE Web Portal, the manager will need to select the unit in the following manner:
- If the transfer was initiated in the PMS system, then the vacating unit is selected from the Web Portal.
- If the transfer was initiated in the Web Portal, then the new unit is selected from the Web Portal.
The default access timeframe is always 48 hours. However, that can be cancelled anytime by clicking Unassign from Transfer. If you do this, select the vacating unit from the Unit Details form. This revokes access to the vacating unit and grants the tenant access to only the unit they just moved into.
If there is any variance, the NSE unit assignment will be overridden upon the next PMS system sync to NSE. To extend the 48 hours, the manager can click Extend Transfer to start the clock over.
Note: The NSE Web Portal does not change any information in the PMS system when completing a transfer. These processes are separate. The PMS system handles account/inventory management and lease agreements, while the NSE Web Portal only provides temporary physical access to both the vacating unit and the new unit until the transfer expires.
Tip: A Users Transferring widget can be added to the dashboard to track current transfers and display the transfer expiration period.
- From the Web Portal, a transfer is initiated from the vacating unit to the new unit.
- The tenant now has access to both units for 48 hours. (This can be changed at any time via the Web Portal.)
- Shared Users have access to both units until the transfer period expires (48 hours). After the tenant takes sole occupation of the new unit, he will have to re-add his shared users from the mobile app.
- Shared Managers/Employees will have access to the vacating unit until the transfer period expires (48 hours). However, they will not be able to access the new unit until the tenant takes sole occupation of it and adds them as shared users again from the mobile app.
- Fob Users have access to the vacating unit until the transfer period expires (48 hours) and must resync the fob to gain access to the new unit.
- From the Web Portal, transfers can be terminated manually or automatically after (48 hours).
- After the transfer is either completed or has expired, the Web Portal and PMS resync as follows:
- The vacated unit becomes Available for rent.
- The new unit becomes Occupied by tenant.
Here is an example process -
The tenant is currently renting Unit A but is relocating to Unit B.
Here’s how the process unfolds:
Manager Updates PMS:
The manager completes the transfer in the PMS, which should include payment(s) completion and new lease agreements.
The manager assigns the user to Unit B in the Property Management System (PMS).
A sync needs to happen for the NSE system to place the tenant into Unit B now
The manager logs into the web portal.
Navigates to the Units tab.
Locates Unit B and clicks on it. (New)
From the unit details page, clicks on ‘Transfer Unit.’
In the bottom section, selects Unit A. (Old)
Transfer State in NSE System:
Both Unit A and Unit B now go into a ‘Transferring’ state in the NSE system, bypassing or ignoring any PMS updates and syncs.
The tenant gains access to both Unit A and Unit B for 48 hours.
Sync After 48 Hours:
After 48 hours, the units are unassigned from the Transfer state in the NSE system, which is ignoring updates from the PMS, and a sync between the PMS and NSE is triggered.
This sync puts the tenant into the new Unit B and removes them from the old Unit A.
Unit A is now available, while Unit B is now Occupied.
Click below to view tutorial: