Tenants can use another smart device to download the mobile app, or they can borrow one from the office. The site manager can also place the unit in pending auction, if all else fails.
Accidents happen and on occasion we've had this question come up. We wanted to share with you our tips for helping your customers retrieve their phones and get on with their day using their mobile app or borrowing one from the office.
Does your tenant or somebody with them have a tablet, iPad, or other smart device that they can use to download the mobile app?
If the answer is YES, the tenant or a friend can...
- Download the Storage Smart Entry mobile app by Nokē.
- Log in using their phone number and password.
- Open the unit and retrieve the phone. After that, they can delete the mobile app from one of their devices.
If the answer is NO, the manager can...
- Log out of the manager's mobile app.
- Let the tenant log into the manager's mobile app.
- The manager and tenant can go to the unit and retrieve the tenant's phone.
- Once the unit is unlocked, the manager can log out the tenant and log back in to their account.
Please check with your supervisor for the best plan of action for taking care of your customer and your company equipment.
If there's not a smart device available or a manager at the facility, the employee can...
- Recommend that the tenant return with another device, and then direct them through the steps of downloading the mobile app and logging in with their phone number and password.
But, in the event of an emergency, there are options to assist your tenant and offer them a quick resolution.
- Have a plan in place to verify your tenant's identity before granting remote access.
- After confirming the identity of the tenant that needs assistance retrieving their phone from a locked unit and first trying the steps above, another option is to temporarily change the status of the unit to Pending Auction.
- With the unit in Pending Auction, access is now available for a site manager to remotely unlock the unit.
- Once the tenant has retrieved her device, the site manager changes the status back to Occupied, restoring tenant access.
- The tenant's Activity Log tracks these actions for the facility and tenant to both monitor the unit, which helps to ensure that trust is maintained between the facility and tenant.
Let the tenant know these are emergency steps taken only to assist them. If they are concerned about locking their phone in the unit again, recommend sharing access with management or a friend. Just like with all digital key sharing, the tenant is in control of sharing access and monitoring all unit activity from their mobile app.
Tenants want reassurance that the system works, that there aren't loopholes that management can use to disable security features.
Warning: Critical entry tools should only be used in situations when the Nokē smart unit is electronically inaccessible and never in front of tenants, if it can be avoided.
Click below to view tutorial(s):
Nokē Support can assist you with remote access, but the best resolution for your tenant, is handling this from the facility. Your team is better equipped to identify the person as the authorized tenant because you have access to your management software records and established relationships with your customers.
It's also the fastest way to get this taken care of, and it's extremely valuable to leave your customers with the impression that even in the event of an issue, your storage company welcomes the opportunity of assisting customers with their storage needs.
Let them know if something comes up, your team can handle it and get them back on with their day quickly. You'll build confidence in your brand and product which goes a long way in how long that tenant will rent with you, the experience they'll enjoy and ultimately what they'll be willing to pay for their storage.
Moving is stressful and although operators always strive to prevent issues from arising in the first place, it is sometimes nice to have the chance to show your customers that you really care.
When these little inconveniences can be turned into "wow moments" from staff that goes the extra mile, you'll earn your tenant's trust and they'll know they've made the best decision by choosing your company.